Wednesday, November 20, 2013

What's For Dinner? The FatBoy

Greatness is unmistakable. You know it when you see it, and you quietly whisper to yourself "I knew it" when you see/hear it again. What do you remember most about your favorite film? The collectable movie poster, or the hour and a half your spend watching the "best movie ever" with stale popcorn stuck to your ass? Keep that in mind while you listen to "Ice Cream Sunday" the debut mixtape from my compadre' The Fatboy. One listen from "ICS" and you'd agree he deserves the sterotypical references he so often recieves (Rick Ross, B.I.G, etc). But not because of his looks or weight. Nope. It's because just like Ross, FatBoy has a swag and stage persona that can't be denied. Simular to Big, FatBoy's lyrical versatiliy is a gem to a industry flooded with lazy emcees.. So how do you define greatness?

Kobain: Since coming on the scene in 2010, you've enjoy a generous level of success in the local region and beyond. What have you done to introduce you brand to a larger market..

FatBoy: Well I've been looking into doing more traveling in 2014,and covering places outside of the areas that I'm already working in. Up until now I've primarily relied on the power of the internet to reach out to a growing fan base, however I know the key is to create a memorable experience with the fans and supporters. After the response that I've gotten from the streets, the people, and even DJ's & promoters on a local basis overall, I feel I'm ready to take my music on the road and create a new and expanded legion of fans.

Kobain: Ok, no doubt. I read that you opened for DJ Unk a while back, a future guest on "The K.O. Theory". How was that experience?

FatBoy: It was cool. It was the first time I'd opened for anyone who was even affiliated with the industry so I was excited and looked forward to rocking the stage. I talked to him [Unk] briefly at the after party, and he's a real cool, down to Earth dude. Even poured me a drink lol. 

Kobain: In modern times to be a successful artist you have to wear several different hats.. What other ventures are you investing you time into?

FatBoy: I'm currently wearing the TV host/producer hat while I work on "Word of Mouth". I've been given an amazing amount of creative control, and i'm putting together the entire format of the show with the help of show creator, Brian Grindin. Later in 2014, I hope to be putting on more of a managerial hat and helping two other artists within my small camp (BreedTheMonster & Treble) get their respective projects out. Other than that I'm always switching between the booking agent, publicist, performer hats that I must wear on a regular basis

Kobain:  That's what it is. I see you staying busy. That's respect.  Your from Greensboro though, if I'm correct. What draws you to the Bull City music scene..

Fatboy: Yep born and raised on the North Side, whatup! lol.  The city of Durham has been some what of a testing ground for my talents, and tactics and is slightly more of a challenge than Greensboro, as far as, what the people like and will respond to musically. It's also a great place to find talented like-minded individuals. Beyond that Durham has a rich heritage of musical icons spanning decades.

Kobain: Congrats on recieving the 2013 Bull City Music Award for Male Hip-Hop Artist of the Year.. what was it like to win this award and what does it mean to you..

FatBoy: Honestly the award came at a time when I was doubting myself as an artist. Not sure if my efforts were as effective as I'd like them to be. For at least a couple of months before the actual award show, it was a push to get the fans and the votes and I just wasn't mentally sure I'd be able to pull it off. The award recipients weren't announced until onstage that night so winning it really came as a "COMPLETE" surprise. For me it proved that I could earn my spot and gain the recognition that I felt I deserved. At the same time it was like beating the first level of a game. I was proud to be moving up, but I know there's still a lot more to do, and learn to gain the success I truly work for. All in all though, this couldn't have happened without the support of great fans.

Kobain: I read that you have a televison project coming soon.. care to share a word or two in that?

FatBoy: Of course! Created by Brian Grindin' of Karono Networks, "Word of Mouth" is a music video television show that I like to say caters to no audience, or every audience. We want everyone from college students to grandparents to be able to tune in at some point and hear their jam (laughs). We want to keep you entertained without the excessive VJ prattle. It'll be airing in 10 cities across 4 or 5 states, (including Cali & Nevada) and we look forward to putting on a great show and expanding nationwide.

Kobain: What does "The Fatboy" bring to the table that the game is missing?

FatBoy: Honesty, man. I'm not one of these cats that's rhyming about driving Lambos while I'm riding the bus. I'm fat, I'm funny looking and I make damn good music (laughs). I'm quick to tell cats that my life is my greatest inspiration to write. For me it's all about the craft of hip-hop and getting it out to as many people who want to hear it as possible.

Kobain: Anything to say to your already steady growing fan base.

FatBoy: I do this for the nobodys man. The people who everyone is too busy to notice. The kids sitting alone at the lunch table; the people who have a voice (because everyone does) but may not be able to, or know how to express it. To them I say, be yourself, because everyone else is already taken!

We appreciate The FatBoy for stopping by and giving us another exclusive on "The K.O Theory".  Follow my dude on Twitter and Instagram @imthefatboy.

Thanks for reading, and as always: To see the movie, you gotta follow the moves!

Instagram: @capcity_iyah

Twitter: @steelxo

Facebook: The K.O. Theory & Iyah Kobain

1 comment:

  1. I am really greatfull to you as you shared this.I am recently developing an app which is you might be interested to look on it : spotify premium apk iphone

    ReplyDelete