Saturday, November 16, 2013

#MileMarker252 #FuckYoAreaCodeEdition

The two guests on "The K.O. Theory" tonight I feel like are older brothers of mine. I look up to, and respect these guys as artists and friends and I'm honored to interview these veterans.

Bakeeba Ruffin a.k.a Tef Kaluminoti, is a well-respected student of the game, and damn near the mayor of Rocky Mount, N.C.. His unmistakable lyrical prowless, and commanding stage presence has garnered alot of attention across the U.S., opening for acts like Yung Joc, Gucci Mane and more..

Dirty Nickel$ a.k.a. Christopher Sherman, is the product of a proud following. Hailing from the 252, his witty flow, and definitive tone bring the beast out on his trunk rattling street anthems, and leave the fans anxiously awaiting for the next listen. It's never a long wait though.. Dirt is a model of consistency. ..

Kobain: Ok Tef, you've been a relevent figure in NC Hip-Hop for sometime now, how do you remain connected with your core fan, and still produce music that grips the younger generation of fans?

Tef: I never lose touch of who I am, and where I came from, by me doing so, my core fan base will be satisfied, and by me staying in touch with reality on what's going on today, I will reach the younger generation by speaking their language, which at the end of the day keeps me relevant.

Kobain: When you google Tef Kaluminoti, up pops page after page of your accomplishments? What are you most proud of as an artist to date..

TEF: To be honest I'm proud of everything I done, so it would be hard to pick just one, but if I had to choose one or two I guess my liquor deal, and my movie, Streets Is Still Watching.

Kobain: Tef Kaluminoti is becoming a household name, your number #4 in the hip hop charts in NC. Congrats in that! What's the key to maintaining a strong following..

TEF: Thanks bro, and the answer is simple , grind and more grind, but also staying consistent and never being content. No matter what people say or do. Also it's about be a trendsetter, giving the people something and someone to believe in. You must do what others can't do, and do what hasn't been done.

Kobain: Tef Kaluminoti has opened for some of the biggest names in hip hop! Which of the many is you most memorable performance?

TEF: Opening for Jay-Z, I would say is one of the most memorable shows I've done, the next one I would say would be opening for Rick Ross. 

Kobain: You had a show recently in DC, tell us a little about your experience there, was the crowd feeling the way we do it down in NC?

TEF: D.C. was crazy, they showed me so much love like always. I been doing shows there since 2003, so my fanbase has grown alot over the years, but this recent show we did was epic. Me an Bash Waliss respresented hard for Carolina

Kobain: No doubt, bro speaking as a N.C. artist, we definitely appreciate that. So, what's in Tef's cd player right now? Who are you listening to?

TEF: To be honest, I really try not to listen to a lot industry artists, but I do have a little Drake, Future and Kendrick Lamar, but mostly indie artists like Fat Trel, other then that mainly I'm focusing on my own music.

Kobain: That's respect, and S/O to Fat Trel. He been making major moves as of late. He just signed with the boss Rick Ross and MMG, so that's a good luck.

Kobain: When it's all said and done, where do you see yourself positioned in hip hop?

TEF: I see myself being one of the most influential artists in Carolina history, someone known for being a great artist,as well as, one of the most powerful business men in the industry.

Kobain: "Streets is Still Watching" , the movie got pushed back a little? When can we expect the movie, and some new music from Tef?

TEF: I'm pushing for a spring release in 2014 for the movie "Streets is Still Watching", also my new cd, "Blue Magic 1.0" will be out by Feb, with the first single dropping January 2014.

Kobain: Anything you wanna say to your fans?

TEF: I would like to say to my fans, thank you!! For sticking with me through the years, y'all keep me motivated. Get ready for the movie "Streets Is Still Watching" and the soundtrack coming next year 2014. I promise you will not be disappointed, "Blue Magic 1.0" is on the way. We appreciate the love you always show us over here at #DayOne, and UDH. We wish you luck in all your new projects in 2014.

TEF: Salute !!

Make sure you follow Tef:

On Twitter: @iamtef

On Instagram: @iamtef

On Reverb Nation: search, "Tef Kaluminoti"
       
                  And check out his site:

                    www.IAMTEF.com

Kobain: First question for you Dirt. For your birthday, you threw one of the best industry parties Raleigh's ever seen. IGRIND247.com was filming the history NC artists made that night. What's your relationship with the crew over there at IGRIND and magic obama?

NICKELS: Ah man. My birthday was a night to remember. I love my team at IGRIND247. I basically got plugged in wit them through my man, Terrence Moore of Elite Graphics. Him and Gwood got their thing going with the website, and they were there set to push us NC artists, really artists all over on their grind, you know. I met Magic from performing at different spots, and he always supported me.

Kobain: You and T-Gunz, have a new mixtape coming out called "Nickel Plated Gunz", a clever title. Have you guys picked a single yet?

NICKELS: "Nickel Plated Gunz" was actually a track me and Tommy did on my first project I released back in 2004. We both been working on other projects, and just decided to go ahead and give our audience something together. Tommy also is working on another mixtape, "Tommy Tooliano", where he is broadcasting more of his own beats. Be on the lookout for that project too.

Kobain: Definitely gotta cop that T-Gunz joint.We can expect from you two on this project.

NICKELS: "Nickel Plated Gunz" is gonna be a mixtape to take hip-hop back to the essence of what music is supposed to be. We have the lead single, "Stay Up In Yo Lane" that's getting buzzed up as we speak. already getting placed on mad mixtapes dropping. It even got blasted by my dawg Mac 11 Murf, on dat NBA 14 wit Mac 11 Murf TV and the video is on the way. And to top it off, we got Skee Monee of 101.9 Kiss FM hosting the joint.

Kobain: You been working with tgunz for a while, but there's a lotta gem ls on the somg roster.. what do you guys bring to thw tabke that may be different then other labels in the nc area..

NICKELS: Yeah, Tommy and I been working together since like 2000. He went to school wit my lil bruh B. Sherm, and he would always come home telling me about Tommy spitting. I got locked and came home, me and Tommy was recording at the same studio. We linked up, and the rest is history. Yeah, we have other artists on the roster like RockSta Jones, Nino a.k.a. Mark, O-V Da Enforcer, my bruh B. Sherm, and Young Flames. I also have a producer, DJ Matt Money on my squad and another producer, Moe Bandman of Optimus Beatz Music Group that I work with heavy. We all come together form like Voltron to give you, the fans, the best music we can dish out. All while trying not to sound like anyone else. You know?

Kobain: I heard rumors you recently been working with some "surprises" with a certain philly artist... care to shed some light on that..

NICKELS: Yeah, God has been blessing ya boi with placing me around a lot of important, big names in the game right now. I can't believe it myself, but it's just showing me that dreams do come true, If you work hard enough, they become reality. Real talk

Kobain: "As Dirty As I Wanna Be" was a classic in NC, and a notable debut effort. How do you feel you've advanced as an artist since it's release?

NICKELS: "As Dirty As I Wanna Be" doing numbers, and that's with little promotion behind the project. I really was shocked when my management (I Believe Media Group) sent my the demographic report. I'm working the album the way I am for a reason. Watch how sales and everything pick up when I get these videos done, and start releasing them. That's how I feel like I have advanced. The videos will elaborate the story I'm telling in my rhymes.

Kobain: I can definitely dig that Dirt. What's the most important thing you've learned since coming on the since in the early 2000's?

NICKELS: The most important thing I've learned is you gotta stay humble out here. You can't get too cocky or bigheaded. The main thing, you gotta stay real and keep it a hundred at all times. Stay consistent, and give the fans great music to rock out to.

Kobain: I couldn't say it no better bro, so when can we expect a new solo effort from Dirty Nickels?

NICKELS: Right now, I'm building my beat stash up for, "As Dirty As I Wanna Be: IN HU$TLE, WE GRIND PT. 2" but I haven't started writing it yet. I'm focusing more right now of working Pt.1, and that means getting my radio edits done,  releasing videos for my lead single, "Shawty Got Me Open", finishing up the video for the single "Lame", and the last single, "Monsta N Da Trunk". Plus videos for alot of other material. So it may be another year before I drop Pt. 2. 

Kobain: Outside of maintaning the day to day of Set One and recording, what else does Dirty have his hands into?

NICKELS: Shoot we (Set One) got a t.v. show in circulation on channel 23 for Suddenlink subscribers, "The Grind Time Show" hosted by Sallah Dolla. We got a part in the movie my bruh DL Glass and the team at First Time Films dropping, "Hood Classic Heat pt. II". Pt. 1 is currently in the hoods now. I have a part in the Unsigned Giants movie. Really basically just trying to network this music, and get to them M's you know. Besides working the music scene, I also work a 9-5. I do the paperwork and take calls for my people bail bonding business, and I'm going to school working on a business management degree. So as you can see, I DON'T DO MUCH!! Lol

Kobain: When you decide to retire, which I would imagined would be no time soon, what's the most important thing you want the fans to remember?

NICKELS: The most important thing I want the fans to remember is no matter how much they say you can't do it, or that it can't be done, put your foot down to show and prove them wrong!! Screw what haters gone say, because not everyone is gonna like your music. Still continue to do you and keep it funky!! NO MATTER WHAT OBSTACLE LIFE MAY THROW AT YA!!!

Kobain: My dude I don't think I could explain it any better. I appreciate you taking the time out to respond to some questions from me and the fans Thanks bro!

NICKELS: It's been real. Its been gravy. 100 bro, and thanks for all your support of #Dirty Nickels and #SOMG

Kobain: No doubt.. it's always a pleasure!
.
Make sure you follow the homie Dirty Nickels, and the movement #SOMG

On Twitter: @set1muzikgroup

On Instagram: @dirtynicks

On Reverbnation: search "Dirty Nickel$"

No comments:

Post a Comment